Thursday 10 November 2016

INJURED..AND IT'S ALL JOSE MOURINHO'S FAULT

So last weekend Man United boss, Jose Mourinho, hit the headlines again for publicly criticising two of his players for not being prepared to play through the pain barrier. Both Luke Shaw and Chris Smalling were singled out for a perceived unwillingness to play through the pain for Sunday's 3-1 victory away to Swansea. Speaking after the game Jose said "great sports people play many times without being 100 per cent".


Soaking wet, injured and fed up
I have had some calf pain on and off for the last while and I probably haven't given it time to recover properly. So do I rest it for longer or take on board Jose's tough love advice?

With those thoughts ringing in my ears I headed out on one of the worst nights of the year for a 5k which turned out to be a disaster. It was freezing, the streets and roads were flooded with heavy rain and the cars were taking great pleasure in regularly splashing me. 

Let's remember Jose's advice was aimed at elite sportsmen, not a 44 year old trying to prepare his body to be hauled around 26.2 miles in London next April. My calf started causing me problems early on but I kept going. "Great sports people play many times without being 100 per cent".


I did it for Jose!
I completed my run but hobbled my way back through the last few kms. I got home like a drowned rat feeling thoroughly miserable, soaked, injured and wondering what the hell am I doing?


Physio
I've been to see a physio this week at Mike Jones Physiotherapy who has told me to rest it for 10 days. Aidan set to work on me with blunt instruments and laser so hopefully I will see some improvement soon. 

It also means I'll have to give Run In The Dark a miss next week.

did it for Jose!