Monday 21 November 2016

INJURED.... SO WHAT ELSE WOULD I BE DOING BUT CURING SALMON

Those of you that know me well know that I love cooking.  With the London Marathon looming on the horizon not only do I have to train like an athlete, but eat like an athlete.

I'd been told to rest my injured calf by my physio, so what else would I be doing instead but curing my own salmon.  Standing at the side of a frozen hockey pitch at the start of the weekend, I then headed to St George's Market in Belfast to purchase a nice side of salmon from one of the many fishmongers. St George's Market was recently voted best market by the Observer Food Monthly and represents everything good about Northern Ireland. You can read their review of it here

My ingredients

My cure
The cure I use is made up of 

  • beetroot
  • dill
  • sea salt 
  • demerara sugar 
  • vodka*
  • black peppercorns 
  • orange zest 
  • lemon zest

Having grated the beetroot, my hands turned a lovely shade of purple. I've made this before and it's another test run for a bigger version I'll be doing for Christmas. It takes a few days for the cure to work and I'll share some pics of how it turns out later this week. The nutritionist Carina Norris states on the London Marathon website that "salmon is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, which benefit your heart and circulatory system". I need all the help I can get.

I also bought a foam roller in the last few days to help my troublesome calf. This is on the advice of my physio Aidan who says I should get back out this week for a few short runs taking it very easy. Foam rollers are designed to massage and soothe tight, sore muscles so fingers crossed it helps. I was tempted to get out for a run at the weekend but it was baltic and icy underfoot so I gave up up on that idea. Back into the groove this week.

Still haven't seen any comments from Carina Norris on vodka.