Sunday 23 October 2016

BEAR GRYLLS, SPARKY, PAULA RADCLIFFE, 6 MILES, CAKE

Stormont parkrun
So the weekend started with volunteering at Stormont parkrun. 135 runners this week round the Stormont Estate route. Always good to help out.  My role this weekend was timer which is always stressful as everyone relies on you getting it right. 

I met a runner who I'm hoping to run with in the near future.  Having company on runs is really helpful. This week has been busy with work, a trip to Birmingham and squeezing in the usual runs. 

So the charity I am running for is HOPE FOR YOUTH NI and did you know it was started in 1972 by Bear Gryll's Grandmother?  He is now one of the chief patrons of the charity so I'm hoping that Bear will be willing to help me with some promotional stuff to help me reach and surpass my target of £2,000.  I was hoping to meet him at his SSE Arena live show this week but I was away with work in Birmingham.  Still plenty of time to sort something out. 


Bear Grylls c/o The Guardian
Me with another bear
When you can't meet Bear Grylls who better to meet than a substitute bear? I'm talking about Sparky (the Ulster Rugby mascot) who I grabbed a quick selfie with on Friday night at Kingspan Stadium. 
A close game in the end with a narrow victory over the Exeter Chiefs. 

It was also my youngest daughter Ella's birthday party and what better way to celebrate but with an enormous home-made rainbow cake.  
Paula Radcliffe would be proud 
The only way to work off the cake was with a 10k run at Shaw's Bridge today. Today I wore my new compression socks for the first time.  

Thanks to Alan Irwin for suggesting them after I had some calf trouble a few months back.  Gill bought them for me and they are really incredible.  Maybe a pic next week if you are lucky! 

It's the first time I've run that route and it won't be the last.  It was so beautiful and beats my usual A55 Outer Ring route! 

I'm glad to report they made me run like Paula Radcliffe who always wears this type of garment. Thankfully I had no emergency toilet stops along the way though.


Ella's rainbow cake

Shaw's Bridge